As a Catholic institution grounded in the pillars of faith, learning, leadership, and service, the Catholic identity of Andrean is an important part of what makes us unique. At Andrean, we guide our students in their Catholic faith by providing them opportunities to learn, grow, and lead. Both the students and faculty participate in monthly all-school masses, in which the students take on leadership roles, such as band, choir, ushers, and lectors. Through the collaboration of our Theology Department and Campus Ministry, the students also participate in monthly community building and discussions about various faith topics in their Theology classes. We offer weekly Bible Study and morning prayer opportunities in the Chapel, as well as the beloved Kairos retreat for Seniors. Furthermore, our school chaplain and campus minister (among other faculty and staff) are readily available to support students wherever they are in their faith journey through individual conversation and collective programming.
Following Andrean's mission pillars of faith, learning, leadership, and service, we believe that we are called to live in relationship with God. Through and for that relationship, we are called to love our neighbors as ourselves. If we are in a position to offer a helping hand to those in need, then we must do so. In that spirit, and as a part of our Theology curriculum, Andrean students get to pray, serve, and/or donate on a monthly basis through our Service Plan called CMT, named after our school motto "Christ is My Teacher." Each month, through a plethora of opportunities, our students learn about and serve a particular cause or population of people, in order to live out this motto. While some of our service is indirect and focuses on prayer or donation, we continue to expand on more direct service outside of Andrean’s school boundaries. In order to give students a better insight to the power of service and the joy of genuine relationship with the people they will serve, we are always open to new ways to give back.
Examples of Andrean Service:
- Cleaning/serving at Sts. Monica and Luke’s Soup Kitchen
- Supply drive for local elementary schools
- Food drives for local food banks
- Attending diocesan prayer events
- YARC (Young Adults Really Care) Party for adults with developmental disabilities for Halloween, Christmas, and Easter.
- Used clothing drive for the Veterans at the Jesse Brown VA Medical Center
- Box of Joy program with Cross Catholic Outreach
- Adopt-a-Family with Catholic Charities
- Donations for Gary Animal Control
- Assisting the Franciscan Health Foundation
- Making posters and selling bracelets for Pediatric Cancer awareness through the NICK Foundation
- Partnering with St. Jude House to raise awareness for Domestic Violence